Deciphering : Sherlock on my mind!


Ciphers! 

There's something about them that has been intriguing me for so long. So, I made a cipher for myself recently but that is not what we're talking about today! 

Today, we're going to talk about Deciphering! What is deciphering?
Deciphering is the complete opposite of crypting, that is to convert a cipher to normal language. Or as the internet says, "convert (a text written in code, or a coded signal) into normal language."

Now, I have a cipher for everyone out there, and if somebody wants to attempt it before I explain, By all means, Have a try! It's not tough!

'>\\{        (':)        :)       [-:#/      :<      #{*     |]{%     '{%      ({     ->/?      :(       ('>]    

#{*      /->       ,\>&>-

Spaces are to differentiate between words. Really hope someone gets it but that would be weird because why are you here then?

Now to deciphering we go! Just lets............................ you know what, ignore that!

The most important and basic thing is to know that the most repeated alphabet is always an 'E'. So, when you'll have an "E' look for three blanked words with "e' in last. That would probably be the most common word of the English alphabet 'THE'. Have a try here in this paragraph!

Now we'll start with the cipher. count all the symbols' occurrence and write that down:

' 4 times                # 3 times

> 6 times                / 3 times

\ 3 times                < 1 time

{ 6 times                * 2 times

( 4 times                | 1 time

: 5 times                ] 2 times

) 2 times                % 2 times

[ 1 time                 ? 1 time

- 4 times                , 1 time

& 1 time

So, here we have it. All the symbols' frequency. Here '>' and '{' are both the most used symbols either of them now can be 'E' now taking both of these as a probability for each time we'll get a skeleton sentence;

'>\\{        (':)        :)       [-:#/      :<      #{*     |]{%     '{%      ({     ->/?      :(       ('>]    

#{*      /->       ,\>&>-

with '>' as 'E'

_ E_ _ _    _ _ _ _    _ _    _ _ _ _ _     _ _      _ _ _      _ _ _ _     _ _ _     _ _    

_ E _ _    _ _     _ _ E _     _ _ _      _ _ E      _ _ E _ E _

going with this one, all the two spaced banks can be if, it, is, to, or am. Am can be excluded as it would need a single blank preceding it for 'I'. The two blanked spaces start with ':' hence, we can safely assume it is the symbol for 'I'. Putting 'I' in its place;

_ E_ _ _  _ _ I _  I _  _ _ I _ _  I _  _ _ _   _ _ _ _  _ _ _  _ _    

_ E _ _   I _  _ _ E _  _ _ _  _ _ E  _ _ E _ E _

After every 'I' we have three different symbols indicating we have all if, is and it in the sentence. the one four blanked space could be 'THIS'. From this deduction, we get " ' " is "H" and ")" is "S". putting these in blanks;

'>\\{        (':)        :)       [-:#/      :<      #{*     |]{%     '{%      ({     ->/?      :(       ('>]    

#{*      /->       ,\>&>-

H E_ _ _  T H I S  I S  _ _ I _ _  I _  _ _ _   _ _ _ _  H _ _  T _    

_ E _ _   I T  T H E _  _ _ _  _ _ E  _ _ E _ E _

We find a word, T H E _, the symbol ']' can either be 'Y' or 'N'.

Is and It are done the only one left is if therefore 'F' symbol is '<',
space after 'T' could only be 'O' the symbol being '{'. This tells us that, we have the correct symbol for 'E'. .The cipher now looks like this;

H E_ _ O  T H I S  I S  _ _ I _ _  I F  _ O _   _ _ O _  H O _  T O    

_ E _ _   I T  T H E _  _ O _  _ _ E  _ _ E _ E _

Looks, really easy now if you ask me! the first word is definitely Hello, the symbol of 'L' being '\'. The blank with 'O' in the middle can be 'NOW' or 'YOU' but from THE_ we get that ']' could much rather be 'N' than 'Y' as it is preceded by 'IT'. hence, we get, Any guesses? yup, a 'YOU', the symbol for 'Y' and 'U' are '#' and '*' respectively.

Following you is usually helping verb 'ARE', symbols for 'A' is '/','R' is '-';

'>\\{        (':)        :)       [-:#/      :<      #{*     |]{%     '{%      ({     ->/?      :(       ('>]    

#{*      /->       ,\>&>-

H E L L O  T H I S  I S  _ R I Y A  I F  Y O U   _ _ O _  H O _  T O    

R E A _   I T  T H E N  Y O U  A R E  _ L E _ E R

_RIYA is simply a name PRIYA, the symbol for 'P' is '['. REA_ is read, 'D' is '?'._NO_ and HO_ have the same last symbol. Now, let me make a daring statement that it is KNOW HOW, is it so fanciful? I guess not. 
'W' is '%' and 'K' is '|'.

H E L L O  T H I S  I S  P R I Y A  I F  Y O U   K N O W  H O W  T O    

R E A D   I T  T H E N  Y O U  A R E  _ L E _ E R

Well, I daresay that I am clever, but here it says the same. 'C' and 'V' are ',' and '&' respectively.

'>\\{        (':)        :)       [-:#/      :<      #{*     |]{%     '{%      ({     ->/?      :(       ('>]    

#{*      /->       ,\>&>-

H E L L O  T H I S  I S  P R I Y A  I F  Y O U   K N O W  H O W  T O    

R E A D   I T  T H E N  Y O U  A R E  C L E V E R

I hope I have helped you in any way or even just kindled an interest in Ciphers, I would be satisfied! That was it! 

I am going to continue watching my sherlock holmes and you guys enjoy your day!




Comments